An Afternoon Drink

Started by Ireland Chase at Apr 06, 2020 2:54 AM
November 16, 2023
37 Posts

Ireland Chase

?Years Young
26 Posts

Each year the world gets a little bit smaller, and that fact frightens me.

I find my peace at sea, under a blanket of endless stars.

Ireland’s mind started to backtrack the various cultures she had come across to try and pinpoint a culture that lacked surnames. There were a handful to choose from, but not-one instantly connected to Germany. Then again it had been a while since she needed such information. It would be a historical bone she’d chew on for a while until she found an answer she liked. Her thoughts had gone back in time enough that the question was no longer connected to Lied. She had found a hole in her knowledge that she needed to fill.

“I would think your profits would speak louder than the lines outside,” Ireland voiced with a smirk. “It’s always nice when the two agree with each other,” nodding in an agreeing manner.

“When it comes to talking about myself, I always do better with direct questions rather than an open floor. If you leave me too much room to answer I’m afraid you’ll get the boring basics like an online profile. Hair and eye color, height …” gesturing with her hands that it could drone on. Chuckling at how horrible she was at answering such questions. “My business, however, that’s something I don’t struggle with as much. Chase & Sawyer Imports is a world inclusive antique store with an ever-changing inventory. I have a store in DC and in Dublin.”

She had warehouses too, but that wasn’t information she ever shared. “I also do commission work. Primarily for art dealers. I can make sure something you found on a shopping trip to Japan makes it through customs with the correct paperwork, or track down something your family lost a generation ago.” Pausing she took a sip of her drink, not wanting the ice to dilute it any more. “I freely admit that the commission work is by far the most interesting part of my job. I let my office managers handle the day-to-day running of the two shops.”

Lied Nova

Speeding Hawk
?Years Young
20 Posts

Lied knew that most had last names, even people of German descent. When she came out of the tank her creator didn’t want to give her his last name, and he didn’t want to be presumptuous to actually use Magneto’s last name either. Thus, the only name she'd been given was Lied and when she got older and matured enough, she realized others had last names too and she’d need one if she wanted to go far in the world. Of course, she wouldn’t be surprised that Ireland wasn’t aware that she was talking to a clone that was forced to become a mutant. It wasn’t a secret she’d tell just anyone, only those really important to her, like Maxwell.

Lied nodded her head. “That is true as well,” she said, lines meant popularity, popularity meant people would come in to dance and drink which meant they would be paying for things. Lied smiled at this and to Ireland’s next words.

Lied listened as she spoke again, saying how hard it was to talk about herself. She found that could be true too since she didn’t like talking about herself either. Some topics weren’t spoken in polite society, and she was uncertain about Ireland’s feelings towards the games she and Maxwell play. Although she would be interested in knowing if Ireland was a mutant, she did find an interest in her business, and she learned what she did and what she had too. Lied’s grin widened in fascination as she listened, and remembrance as well.

well, I have heard of your company” she said though her nightclub did use Ireland’s business to get things she needed, that wasn’t how she had learned of it in the first place. her lover Maxwell Lobo spoke of her, or at least she heard his company was in business with her own anyways.

Ireland Chase

?Years Young
26 Posts

Ireland stretched her fingers out, before her index moved back to her drink to idly trace an unseen pattern through the condensation on the outside of her glass. Though her fingers wandered, she was still actively listening to Lied.

She was surprised that Lied was familiar with her business. It made her wonder what else she would discover about the nightclub owner by the end of their conversation, "I'm pleased to hear that my company is a familiar name to you. It's an unexpected surprise. Do you make it up to DC often?" She asked curiously.

Lied Nova

Speeding Hawk
?Years Young
20 Posts

Through the covering of her eyes that hid her mutation, she observed the wandering fingers. Though she could see she was listening to her, so the wandering fingers were mentally dismissed.  She found their owner of greater interest.

She noted how surprised she seemed to be that she’d know about her business, and she asked if she made it up to DC often, to which she nodded. “Indeed I do, I had just returned from a trip earlier myself,” She said idly. Indeed with her powers going up to DC is easy and quick, her money was in a bank, so she’d just need to make withdrawals if she needed to and all was fine.

Ireland Chase

?Years Young
26 Posts

“DC, I appreciate all the history the district contains, it’s the perfect east coast location for a business like mine. However, aside from the coast I must admit I much prefer New York. The people here have so much more…life and color than in DC. I fear the saturation of government officials is like a necktie that’s worn too tight,” her hand absently touching her neck as if to check for an unseen tie.

“Perhaps that’s why I come to visit so often,” though she said the last part aloud it was unclear if she was telling Nova that fact or herself.

Smiling to herself as her thoughts turned to traveling, “New York and Washington DC aside. Have you traveled much? Perhaps a favored destination or a top five?” She asked curiously.

Lied Nova

Speeding Hawk
?Years Young
20 Posts

As the feral listened to the woman across from her talk of her home town, she found herself interested in what she had to say. It was clear to her that Ireland had an appreciation for its history, something she too liked. DC was the capital of America, and it had historic importance and significance to its history. She smiled as she could tell that Ireland loved the east coast, though she was surprised when it appeared she preferred New York. She nodded in agreement. “I was in love the first time I saw the coast,” she commented.

She smiled at the question. “Indeed, when I was 18, I began getting interested in the outside world, and at 19, I had been able to go, I went here, then DC, and pretty much the whole world. I wanted to see everything,” she told her neglecting to tell her why she traveled, though part was to look and explore, the other part was to look for a friend of her fathers.

"My top five, I’d say Dominican Republic, China, Japan, Brazil, Germany, though the last one, was because my father was from there, Nuremberg, I wanted to see it and imagine it from when my father was there."

Ireland Chase

?Years Young
26 Posts

“Nuremberg isn’t a place most people choose to visit. For the sake of family history. I can understand such a trip,” Ireland replied with a nod. Germany had a very complex history that some people couldn’t see past.  She would never admit it aloud, but it was something that she had to work passed herself. Though her connection to the past was different than most. “Boating down the Rhine River is one of my favorite outings while in Germany,” including her own travel experience.

Her thoughts moved on to the other locations mentioned. “Brazil’s Carnival in February,” her voice held a reminiscent tone to it. “It was one of the most memorable moments in my travels,” she added with a smile. Unfortunately, no one could really understand the meaning of that phrase, “You should definitely experience it sometime in your life if you haven’t.”

“The waters of the Dominican Republic are breathtaking. Just looking at their beaches makes me feel more relaxed. I am definitely one who enjoys a warm holiday in the cold of winter. When I sail south, I tend to rotate between Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico. Most of the time my sailing schedule does not allow for time to visit more than one of those locations,” the challenges of balancing work-related travels with traveling for enjoyment.

“China and Japan are the two countries I actually travel to the most. There has been a steady increase in antiques both coming in and out of their borders. I enjoy their food and the beauty of their culture. The most memorable tea ceremony I had the blessing to observe was in Kyoto during the cherry blossom festival. I wish I had as much grace and intention with my every movement as the woman I saw. I still feel like a child with all thumbs compared to her,” chuckling to herself as she reminisced about so many memories.  

Lied Nova

Speeding Hawk
?Years Young
20 Posts

Lied nodded, indeed, when she’d arrived many were surprised by her presence there, but out of respect for her father, she’d made sure not to cause trouble. She smiled as she was told of Ireland’s experience there, and nodded, “I have to agree, boating was a joy I hadn’t experienced before." She had been surprised she hadn’t felt guilty of taking a break from her search when she decided to go boating.  

Though what she had said next caused her to swear audibly. “I knew I missed something, I hadn’t been able to attend Brazil’s Carnival, I may do that next February, with my love,” she said. And she couldn’t stop thinking about Brazil’s Carnival.

Lied smiled as Ireland spoke of the waters of the Dominican Republic being breathtaking. “Excellent choices,” she replied when Ireland spoke of how she tends to rotate between Cuba, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico. “I do hope you’ll get to see those places again when you have more free time available to you,” she said knowing she would like to return as well.

Lied soon learned that China and Japan were the two countries Ireland travels to the most due to the antiques both coming in and out of their borders. She found herself interested in what she had to say. “One of my dad’s associates had brought me to a cherry blossom festival once, I had never in my life seen trees with the leaves like that one. Oh! I was actually able to get my hands on one of the fallen leaves once, and my dad’s associate was able to encase one in a transparent filament that allowed it to keep its appearance, forever.  I have it on a shelf in my home, I should show you sometime later on.”

She then decided to ask her, “What was the most exquisite and unique dish you had gotten the chance to eat, that wasn’t made in America?”

Ireland Chase

?Years Young
26 Posts

“A friendly warning for when you visit Brazil during Carnival. Be careful. There is something in the water down there. I have had a fair number of friends come back with an extra souvenir that they deliver 9-months later,” chuckling softly as her hand moved away from her glass to cover her smiling mouth. “I always thought that was a myth for the tourists, of course, you will have to figure out your own opinion once you visit. I do hope you go. If you have issues finding a place to stay just let me know. I have some connections I can reach out to. I will not let overbooked hotels stand in the way of someone’s first visit,” Ireland assured Lied.

A warm smile spread across Ireland’s face as Lied shared her own story of attending a cherry blossom festival. “I would love to see your capsuled blossom some time,” she assured her. “While I fully enjoyed the festival I went to in Japan, I also appreciate that the cherry blossom tree can be found in various locations around the world. I find it reassuring that so many children across the globe can share a similar experience,” that thought caused her to pause for a moment in thought.

“My apologies,” realizing she had gone quiet for longer than she intended. “On occasion I teach at a local school. Our little chat has sparked a field trip idea I would like to suggest to the school administrator. One can always do with another reason to see the cherry blossoms in full bloom,” smiling once again.

Ireland took a deep breath, held it for a moment and then let it out in a huge sigh. “How can you ask me such a difficult question,” shaking her head and laughing at the ridiculous notion of trying to pin down a single favorite dish. Even when one eliminated American dishes. “Coming up with an answer will take some time,” she confessed. Using her drink to give her some more time to think, she finished it off. Quietly setting it down on the table and sliding it to the tables edge for easy viewing. “Most of the time my appetite is tied-tightly to an emotion. My favorite dish will change depending on if I am happy, sad, excited, lonely, cold …if I start stirring up memories from the past,” her hand made small side-to-side gestures as she spoke of all the variables that went into her opinion on food. “Has a favorite dish of yours come to mind?” She asked curiously.

Lied Nova

Speeding Hawk
?Years Young
20 Posts

Lied grinned as she was told of a friendly warning by Ireland about someone getting an extra souvenir because of something in the water. At first, she thought she meant that there was some kind of bacteria, but those don’t get removed 9 months later, so Ireland meant they became pregnant. “Thanks for the warning,” she said as she promised herself to drink their water just to make something happen.  She continued to smile as Ireland promised to help her should she have some issues finding a place to stay in Brazil. “Thank you, I appreciate that’ she said to her pleased that she would be so kind as to help her with securing a place to stay.

She continued to smile as she spoke to Ireland, more and more she found herself fascinated by this woman before her. She had so many connections, yet she was teaching at a school. She couldn’t help but wonder what a true school was like.  “Then I should invite you to my place sometime and I can show it to you when time is available to you’ she told her. She was surprised to hear that there were cherry blossom trees in various locations around the world. She decided she’ll have to fly out and see sometime.

She soon began noticing that Ireland was quiet, which was where she discovered that she was a teacher at a local school.  “Indeed, a chance to see that sooner would be an amazing experience. Especially with kids” she said though she’d been to the festival when she was ‘18’ but it was rather sooner than later technically.

She hadn’t realized her question would be a difficult one to answer. “My apologies then,’ she said realizing that with Ireland’s experiences she has probably been everywhere and tasted many foods, but for Lied, there was one dish that would be her all-time dish, and when she was asked, she forgot to hold herself back. “I’d have to say, Tyrannosaurus Rex steak, remove the scales and cook that thing medium rare and it’s the most delicious dish I have ever tasted. I hear that bear is supposed to be good, but I don’t know if I can compare them since I had never had bear before. ‘She said to her. Her voice was natural all matter-of-factly that there was no hint of falsehood in it, as if she truly had eaten T’rex meat.