Community Street Fair

Started by May Parker at Jun 22, 2021 2:59 PM
June -3, 2023
6 Posts

May Parker

Aunt May
?Years Young
3 Posts

Pomonok Playground is a block west of Public School 201 in Queens New York. The south half of the park consisted of fenced basketball courts, while the north section is a children's play structure. Kept safe by the ever-entertaining springy green ground covering. Between those major features was a large, paved area, dusted with large trees and benches, where parents often sat chatting while keeping an eye on their little ones. Today however, the paved area was packed with vendor stalls. Small businesses from the community were there to sell their goods; from culinary creations to the most needed item you didn't even know you needed. For the young, and young at heart, there was face painting, balloon animals and a small petting zoo.

As the last of the vendors readied their stalls May's gaze drifted up to the sky above. The forecast said there was a 30% chance of rain and she was worried. She knew that rain, even the chance of it, would have an impact on the number of people who would show-up today.

"You're always so worried," came a familiar female voice from behind her left shoulder.

Looking over her shoulder she smiled, chuckling slightly as Anna stopped beside her. "I know I can't control the weather," May sighed. Answering the unsaid statement she knew was on the tip of Anna's tongue. "Not being able to control _everything_ is a real frustration. You know that?" Her foot tapping, impatient in her own manner.

"Re-lax," Anna instructed as she held May's shoulders and shook her slightly. In hopes to relax the ever-tense muscles May dealt with. "Go say hi to the vendors and I'll go get us some bubble tea ok? You know talking to everyone is the part you like the most," smiling at her friend as she waited for May to accept her direction. "There's a rumor that the guy in stall 37 is a great salsa dancer," throwing in the little temptation.

May rolled her eyes, letting out a sigh, all too aware of how her team-mate and friend was openly trying to manipulate her. Her shoulders suddenly relaxed, "A dancer you say?" May was intrigued, she liked going dancing. Finding a dance partner was always the tricky part. "Ok you win," conceding to her friend. She nudged Anna's shoulder before walking down the aisle.

Natalie Weeyico

?Years Young
3 Posts

Natalie stepped out of her car on a mission. She needed to get new seeds as well as some new food so here she was at one of her most favorite places. “Ok, work and pleasure, which should I do first? I think work than pleasure so that it's off my mind. “ She said, and she proceeded to walk forward, passing two women, one of whom mentioned the guy in stall 37 being a great salsa dancer. This caused her to smile in thought at how long ago it had been since she’d done salsa dancing and realized that it was before she had her daughter Sachura.

Unfortunately, her mind being lost in thought, she almost walked into May. “Oh, I am so sorry! Just got distracted,” she replied and stepped back since she didn’t want to be in May’s space. Once things were settled, she’d take her leave, though with a bit of an embossed look on her face.  

May Parker

Aunt May
?Years Young
3 Posts

The minor collide was enough to cause May to take an unbalanced step forward. It wasn’t because Natalie clipped her shoulder with a lot of force, but because May was distracted as well. She looked in Natalie’s direction, extending a steadying hand towards the woman’s upper arm. “Oops,” chuckling slightly. “What we have here is a kettle-and-pot moment,” smiling towards the blonde. “There’s a chance I was paying less attention than you were,” she added with another chuckle.

Realizing that her hand was still on the woman’s arm she internally chided herself as she pulled her hand back, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have touched your arm without permission. I do apologize,” with the current culture there was a focus on respecting the personal boundaries of others. Usually, May was very on top of that, but she was caught off guard by losing her balance. She hoped the woman wouldn’t take offense. “Do you need help finding anything in particular? I’m a volunteer here and I’m at your disposal if needed,” pointing to the name tag hanging from the lanyard around her neck.

Natalie Weeyico

?Years Young
3 Posts

Natalie felt the arm grabbing onto her own and she knew that this was instinctive and that she did it to stabilize herself. The mom that she was, however, didn’t stop herself from moving her arm so that she could assist her. She smiled kindly at the other woman” hah, so we have a thing in common then! We both get lost in thoughts. Soon may was apologizing and Natalie shook her head” oh, it's alright, I understood it as instinct trying to help you get more steady. “ She said as she too lowered her arms back to her side.

At May’s indication of her name tag, and her statements, Natalie smiled as her eyes took a quick glance at her tag. “May Parker,  I think that’s a beautiful name. I’m Natalie, Natalie Weeyico.” She said as a way of introducing herself. “I’m looking for seeds, specifically to flowers. I own a Flower shop, so I am always interested in getting new flowers that I can plant or carefully breed, and also some other produce to eat later.

May Parker

Aunt May
?Years Young
3 Posts

May looked to Natalie with a look of relief. Followed by a smile at hearing that she understood the arm grab.

"Oh you have your own business, " May was clearly excited at the news. Her eyes lit up with social energy, if there was such a thing. "First off, let me take you to the gardening booth. They sell baby plants that you can either put in your garden or a flower pot. Flowers and vegetables. I'm not sure if they sell seeds currently, but Mr. McDolan is a real friendly guy. Maybe an arrangement could be made between you two for seeds. Collecting seeds is something you have to do at a specific time in each season right?" She asked curiously, as she gestured for Natalie to walk with her. She was going to take the long route to Mr. McDolan's booth, past the food area so Natalie could preview her options.

OOC: Booths, foods, etc. is all up for creative grabs. I'm making up stuff as we go, feel free to do the same.

Natalie Weeyico

?Years Young
3 Posts

Natalie thought that May was a nice girl and a bubbly one at that. She found herself enjoying her company, and she began following her. “Yup, it’s called Weeyico’s Haven,” She said and added an address for her benefit as she followed. She nodded. “yeah, certain plants don’t handle cold or heat, so by season those plants may not produce seeds, and it’s harder to grow new plants even if my place is temperature-controlled. “ She replied to her as they walked.

She spied lots of booths and food booths as they passed on their journey to Mr. McDolan’s booth. Though Natalie would have preferred seeds, she knew that getting plants was fine too, since she found it fun cultivating plants.

[ooc: oki dokie]