Site Move Organization

Started by Alisa at Mar 14, 2020 11:11 AM
5 Posts

Alisa

66Years Young
17 Posts

"None of us are here..."

Right now, Vesta does not have a site converter. This is not horrible. Moving a site to Vesta is not difficult. I moved an entire site by myself within three days once I got my new site set-up for. That's the key - having what we need in place first.

First Things First

• Poll the members still at the Jcink site to find out who is going to move and who is no longer with the site. There is no sense in moving posts and characters if people have left the group.
  • Go through posts at the jcink site and delete all that do not need to be moved. Clean the jcink site up, get rid of anything that doesn't have to be moved to this site.
  • Ditto on characters, remove the ones that have been abandoned. Do that work on the jcink site will make moving a breeze.

Forum Layout

• Vesta will accept one or two layers of sub-forums. However, I strongly urge going with as few forums overall as is possible. It's neater, easier to manage, easier for members to navigate. When it comes to forums, more is not always better. ;)
  • We need the forums in place before doing post moving.

Moving in a Nutshell

Once we've determined what needs moved, we can get started. What we will need to do goes in this order....

1. Move the characters.
  2. Move posts.
  3. Get members to register accounts.
  4. Transfer the characters to member accounts.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.

Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.

We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.

And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.

~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

ShaaliRMS

42Years Young
81 Posts

Ok, I am pretty sure only Heidi seems to have left the group. Multiple messages have been sent to her by several different means and nothing has been heard from her in a very long time. Longer than even my sudden absence. However, I would still like to archive her stuff here just in case she does return. She may very well just not have the choice to even let us know for whatever reason.

Her canon characters will go back up for grabs, though. Can't have them held up forever.

I was already thinking on what threads aren't necessary now and will thoroughly enjoy going through and sorting them out. Starting fresh can be a great way to figure out what forums we really need too. I've been looking at the set up of the other sites you've linked me too. Less is better is becoming a big part of my preferences too.

Once I figure out how to do the forums here it won't take me long. I have fallen in love with the grid style too. I cannot wait to see how it looks after all our personal tweeks are done 😊.

Alisa

66Years Young
17 Posts

"None of us are here..."

Awesome. And remember, we can always add forums when/if we find we need them. Most RPers now want simple, minimalistic but appealing sites. The less work they have to do, the more likely they are to join and stay.

Alisa

66Years Young
17 Posts

"None of us are here..."

This is a test post.

Mariana

41Years Young
40 Posts

Just flying by to say that I'm here to help, working on the way the site looks, and that I've posted a tentative board tree and more stuff at Discord this evening. I can repost it here if Mana prefers.

I'll just repost now that since Heidi seems to have truly disappeared, I think it's safe to say that Magneto is returning to my hands. If that actually happens, I'll be handing Hourglass to Guiga. Besides this, all stays the same for us both characters-wise. Just talked to him.

Love 1